In the early 1950ies, the pin lever movement Kaiser K48 was launched in Villingen, Germany. With a diameter of 10 1/2 lignes, it was like many other pin lever movements of that time with the only difference, that it already had got a central center second hand.
The movement was pretty raw and undecorated. The bearings were just made of brass and didn’t contain jewels, except the balance, which was beared in two pairs of jewels. The fifth jewel was the upper bearing of the central second gear.
The construction of the K48 is like on all other pin lever movements. Even the lever bearing was on a U-type cutout and so could be roughly adjusted by bending it.
The third wheel has got a longer axle, which carriers a gear on top of the upper main plate. This gear drives the central second wheel, which is secured by a friction spring to avoid a jumping second indication.
On the dial side you can see the rocking bar winding mechanism and the click mechanism, which is located under a black bridge. The click wheel of the mainspring barrel is just stacked, not secured by a screw.
The mounting of the dial is pretty odd: At “12” and “6”, there’s a flap, into which the dial is screwed.
|Number of jewels:||5|
Nickel anular balance|
|Balance bearing / direction hairspring:||Clockwise|
|Adjust mechanism:||Long regulator arm|
|Construction type:||pillar construction|
|Winding mechanism:||rocking bar winding system|
|Setting lever spring:||3 hole(s)|
|Functions:||hour, minute, second|
|Size:||10 1/2''' (measured: 23,4mm)|
Flume: 1952 27|